[ltp] thinkpad-acpi release 0.18-20071203 uploaded to ibm-acpi.sf.net

Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:16:12 -0200

I have released version 0.18-20071013 of thinkpad-acpi through the
sourceforge.net release system.

Patches are available for 2.6.20, 2.6.21, 2.6.22, 2.6.23 and 2.6.24-rc at:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=117042&package_id=230205

git users can get it directly from tags in:
git://repo.or.cz/linux-2.6/linux-acpi-2.6/ibm-acpi-2.6.git

This release should make things better for *61 owners, but do note that you
need to use either the standard ACPI video module for backlight control (in
which case you might need a *very* up-to-date video.c), or you need to tell
thinkpad-acpi that you want its legacy interface.  Read the docs.

It also provides sysfs select()/poll() support for some attributes, notably
the state of the radio rf-kill switch of the new ThinkPads.  May I remind
the prospective users of this to:

  1. use a proper timeout in poll()/select(), to not hang forever in an
     older thinkpad-acpi, but also not to wake up too often for no good
     reason.
  2. It is thinkpad-acpi specific.  If your application is not thinkpad-acpi
     specific, DO NOT USE IT.

And it fixes some heavily embarassing crap in the way the NVRAM polling
patch dealt with hotkey_mask.  I don't think anyone is really using this,
but since it is queued for 2.6.25, might as well make it as
non-schizophrenic as I can :-)

Please test, I'd like to send these changes upstream for 2.6.25 soon.

  Henrique Holschuh