[ltp] Dual Monitor setup with FireGL on T60p

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 20:41:23 -0800

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 05:38:46PM +0000, Phil wrote:
> To get desktop spread across internal and external monitors I ran:
>     sudo aticonfig --initial --dtop=horizontal --enable-monitor=lvds,crt1
> That worked fine. This was on a Radeon Mobility X1400 on a T60 - your
> mileage may vary...

Oh, I see.  I had tried that aticonfig a few times -- the aticonfig
docs say that's the way to get the "Big Desktop".   But, when I tried
it it always resulted in two separate screens (:0.0 and :0.1).  I
could move the mouse between them but not the windows.

Then I decided to try another window manager, Icewm, and sure enough I
do get the Big Desktop where I can move windows between screens.

So, it seems to be an issue with Gnome.

When I start get two desktops -- that is, once screen has my normal
panel and desktop icons, but the other screen just has the menus but
minimal panel items.

When starting Icewm (with -dtop=horizontal) only one window has Icewm
running.  I have to manually run DISPLAY=:0.1 icewm in an xterm to get
the second screen to have a window manager.

Anyway, any tips on what I might need to do with Gnome to get the
Xinerama/Big Desktop?

I tried altering the Admin->Screens and Graphics, but anything I do
there doesn't work.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley