[ltp] T43 PCMCIA

Christoph Lechleitner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Dec 2007 23:53:49 +0100

Timothy Murphy schrieb:
> I bought a T43 on eBay (no snide remarks please)
> and it works fine except for WiFi.
>
> There is apparently no built-in WiFi as I expected
> (I have another T43 with WiFi built in.)
>
> Also, for some reason I do not seem able to connect
> with WiFi using a PCMCIA card,
> either under Windows or Linux.
>
> Could I actually get the missing WiFi part and install it
> without undue difficulty?

Lenovo.com should be able to tell you that, based on the 7 char type
info, something like 2636-2FG or so, you can find the model's exact
details and the "parts information".

If the model has the WiFi antanna build in, a MiniPCI card might be
pluggable and available, from Lenovo or eBay ;->>

> Alternatively, is there some obvious reason
> why PCMCIA cards don't work on this machine?
> (I've tried several.)

Have you checked the BIOS settings?
It's usually possible to switch PCMCIA off there, or to misconfigure the
PCI interrupts.

Furthermore, anciently (199x) there were cards with different voltages,
3 and 5 volt or so, but I'd wonder you have stuff that old.

Finally, you might ask the seller if PCMCIA might be broken on this
particular device.

Regards Christoph