[ltp] ibm-acpi ThinkPad X60 brightness support problems

Michael Reinsch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Jan 2007 16:09:21 +0900

--=-aKSCmFLZXsJ7Vv1ZbP/K

Hello and a happy new year!

On 31.12.2006, 17:21 -0200 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> 	1. Fn+Home/fn+End *do* work, but tpb, KDE and other similar
> 	"ThinkPad CMOS snooping" things don't report Fn+Home (brightness up)
> 	anymore.

Not sure about that one... well, see below.

> 	2. Lenovo changed the mappings and Fn+Home generates a hotkey event
> 	that is the same as the fn+F7 one (switch monitor output), which
> 	would explain all sort of weird behaviour if fn+F7 ain't safe in
> 	your particular configuration.

This doesn't seem to be the case. This is what happens on my X60s:

- Fn+F7 produces "ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001007", which triggers a
script to write into /proc/acpi/ibm/video (but which doesn't work with
the X60 any more :( - but that is another issue). Pressing Fn+F7 itself
does not trigger this issue.

- Fn+Home actually produces two events:
  1. ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001010
  2. video LCD0 00000086 00000000
  None of those events are handled by a script (/var/log/acpid tells
that). Nevertheless the screen goes dark (background light goes off),
and even restarting X does not bring it back. I can switch to other
consoles which are just fine and which also handle Fn+Home correctly
(i.e. they don't go dark).

- Fn+End does not produce any event.

- "echo 4 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos" (brightness up) works

- "echo 5 > /proc/acpi/ibm/cmos" (brightness down) works as well.

Hope this helps getting more light into this issue.

--=20
  Michael Reinsch <mr@uue.org>                      http://mr.uue.org/

--=-aKSCmFLZXsJ7Vv1ZbP/K

--=-aKSCmFLZXsJ7Vv1ZbP/K--