[ltp] Fan-questions again...

Gilson Laurent linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:45:42 +0100

Moien

> What I did to lower the noise:
>
> -undervoltet Pentium M
> -underclocked ATI x300 with fglrx

You forgot the WLAN-card. "iwconfig" will show you if the power-managment is set or not.

> -why does the fan start at rather cool temperatures?
> CPU ~43° (I'm using gnome sensors applet to read it).

Check /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal. It has way more sensors. The docs also mention the position of the sensores on a R51, the R52 seems to have the same.

underclocked and undervolted (PentiumM 725, 600 MHz @ 0.7V) i get below 40°C in idle desktop and below 45°C for office/browsing. Are you sure you already undervolted your CPU ? Do you have a CeleronM or PentiumM ?

> -what exactly does the MiniPCI-contoller control? With the fan off, this
> temperature rises very slowly to ~55°, and when the fan is turned on
> again it decreases significantly slower than all the other temperatures.

I guess it gets the thermal energie from the WLAN-card.

> -why are there different fan speeds within the same speed level?

Uhm... explain a bit more. Setting the fan to level X (via /proc/ibm/acpi/fan in experimental=1 mode) will always produce XYZ rpm.

> -is there a way to lower the fan speed except changing levels?

Not w/o opening the laptop. Don't do it.

> -is the auto-mode in ibm-acpi 0.13 that comes with kernel 2.6.20 the
> same auto-mode programmed by Yury Polyanskiy? (Where you can set min and
> max temperature thresholds)

No idea, but i find it a bit risky to base all changes on just 2 temperatures.

cu