[ltp] Ultrabase X6: No SATA support, just PATA-SATA bridge?

Andreas Gredler linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:19:41 +0200

On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 12:23:27PM +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Andreas Gredler wrote:
> > I bought an Ultrabase X6 for my X60s and the ultrabay S-ATA adapter with
> > a S-ATA harddisk. I can't get it right to see the harddisk as S-ATA
> > device. OOTB it's detected as /dev/hda and if I set hda=noprobe it
> > completely disappears. Does someone know if the ultrabay is only connected
> > over the IDE bridge instead of the S-ATA bridge? Or did I forget something?
>
> Are you sure you aren't affected by problem similar to [1]? In short,
> try using libata exclusively.
>
> [1] http://linux-ata.org/faq.html#combined

Yes, it's similar. If I use "compatible mode" in the BIOS I have to face
the same problems. I can then use the kernel params to use libata for
all devices and then the 2nd harddisk is also controlled by libata and
appears as sdb.
But in AHCI mode the 2nd harddisk is always claimed by ide-generic
instead of libata. And I don't want to use compatible mode in the BIOS.
The only workaround that I discovered is to use ide-generic as module
and unload/load the module for hotswapping.

greets Jimmy

--
                 Andreas "Jimmy" Gredler
   ,'"`.         http://www.jimmy.co.at/ | jimmy@g-tec.co.at