[ltp] how to restore original MBR and partition table

James PEARSON linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 May 2007 20:29:17 +0200

Hello
> Joe Zien <jozien@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have a new IBM Thinkpad T60 Widescreen laptop that I dual boot
> with XP and Linux, it worked great booting XP or linux.
> I installed grub, the linux boot loader, in the MBR.
> Before I repartitioned the hard drive to install linux,
> I used the linux command "dd" to backup the MBR.

Been there - done that. If you don't have your recovery disks (make a set for the next
time!) you can download the  Rescue and Recovery - Recovery repair diskette / CD using
another computer and burn it to a CD.

I got this from here so it is in the archives
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-54483

Lots of luck
James