[ltp] hotkey_mask on t40 with thinkpad-acpi 0.18-20071013

Jan Taegert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:25:30 +0100

thanks for your clarification,

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh schrieb:
> Why would you want to enable volume up/down and brightness up/down reporting
> on a T4x?  The BIOS *always* handles them, no matter what you do, so they
> always just work (or just break horribly :p).

> If it is for on-screen-display purposes, well, the proper solution for that
> one is not on the kernel yet.  The improper solution is to use 0x00ffffff
> for the mask and a HAL config that knows that volume up/down/mute and
> brightness up/down from a T40 thinkpad are to be used only for
> on-screen-display.

You're right, actually I need it only to link the volume buttons to
alsamixer/gnome-volume-control. As far as I know the signal from the
thinkpad-acpi module (or one of those nice cpu-wakeup daemons ) is the
only way to get this working. Maybe you know any better solution.

So I will leave it now as it is as it just works (even though I don't
know exactly why ;) ). Interestingly I must have the hal config you
mentioned above: With thinkpad-keys, one of these nvram polling daemons,
gnome-power-manager turns completely unusable, maybe because pressing
the brightness keys adjusts the backlight two times: one through the
bios, a second from gpm itself. However, with hotkey_all_mask set it
gives me on-screen-feedback and works how it's supposed to do.

thanks and regards,
jan.