[ltp] Lenov notebook ACPI Configuration Recommendation ( very many questions )

T Biehn linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 01:00:37 -0500

Why not install linux to a USB key and then remove your HD all-together?
Make sure HPET / Dynamic Ticks are enabled, and as a further
suggestion custom compile a recent mm kernel (I'm running
2.6.23-rc8-mm2) as it has more hpet tweaks than mainstream.
If you're really serious about the power, etc, and only want to use
your laptop as a thin client, why not eliminate your current window
manager and run a lightweight WM like dwm, ratpoision, ion (plugging
tiling window managers here), or wm2.
For keeping power down use intel's powertop utility to find out what's
keeping your processor out of sleep states.

Thats the long and short of it, intel's powertop website has some
information for configuring your kernel and also has some info on
keeping power usage to a minimum, patches and suggestions for various
applications. Searching around the web will reveal a wealth of info on
this topic!

AFAIK you need ibm-apci to manage your power and to make things like
hardware keys work... I don't think it uses much more power
consumption, it's useful so use it :)

The unfortunate thing is that when I was tweaking my x61t spending
countless hours stripping down debian unstable to a light-power
install it STILL didn't add up to what I'd get out of windows.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Travis