[ltp] thinkpad-acpi release for 2.6.24-rc2

Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:35:00 -0200

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> my wm) but I guess I can live with that. But video.c have support for
> only backlights from like 10% to 100% and doesn't shut down the screen.

Thinkpad-acpi can't shut down the screen, either.  If I ever find out how to
do it in a portable way, you bet I will.  But so far, the only thing that
works right is the DPMS calls, and *that* is something I am not doing, ever.
Leave it for the X server and console blanking code.

> (and 100% in video.c is brighter than in thinkpad-acpi...)

That should not happen in thinkpad-acpi 0.18 (where you have 16-level
support for brightness).  But that does mean the highest level is 15 on some
thinkpads, and not just 7 :p

The real difference is that thinkpad-acpi uses direct hardware levels (which
are NOT linear changes in brightness), while Lenovo did a nice thing and
hardcoded a translation function for the ACPI DSDT, which supposedly lets
you talk to it in terms of brightness levels (so 50% really is "midway
bright" for ACPI video.c).

  Henrique Holschuh