[ltp] best T4-model for dual head internal + DVI-out?

Bill Andrus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:16:08 -0400

linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-thinkpad.org wrote on 04/19/2008 11:05:26 AM:

> I'm looking to by a used model of the T4-Series. I want to run it at
> home in a dual-head configuration which uses the DVI-throughput function
> of the docking station.
>
> It has to have a 14" SXGA+ 1400x1050 pixel internal screen. I want to
> use an external screen of preferably 1600x1200. Else 1280x1024px. I
> will probably upgrade the memory to 2GB. I will run Debian GNU/Linux. I
> will use it mostly for webdevelopement, surfing an office
> tasks. Occasionally for DVD-watching and web-tv with miro.
>
> Which of the following models is best for my purpose (dual-head with
> internal display and external DVI)?
>
> T40, T40p, T41, T41p, T42 and T42p.

Having some experience with all these models, having rebuilt and sold
hundreds over the past few years, my keeper is a T42p without the exotic
ATI graphics chip, upgraded to a 2.1GHz processor and 2GB RAM.  Very
stable, extremely high performance and yet the 9 Cell battery gives 6+
hours conservative use before hibernating.  Look for the 14.1" rather than
15" screen version, the SXGA+ display with 64MB rather than 128MB, and go
from there.  I actually have two in the house, my son doing graduate
Computer Science at George Mason is hauling the other one around and with
the 160GB HD, dual layer DVD burner has yet to ask for more.

> Ideally it would run with open source drivers that are easy to setup and
> maintain. 2D is way more important to me than 3D acceleration.

Go for both with the T42p, Ubuntu and RHEL 5 both loaded up on mine and
perform extremely well (no, I don't benchmark, I run XP Pro SP2 on the
other boot partition and use Internet and Office Suite overall seat of the
pants to assess relative functional performance, have for years).   I also
have a wide body T60 running XP Pro SP2, Vista Business SP1 and marginally
several Linux distros, ATI x1400 Graphics, and T5600 processor, but do all
my own work and play on the T42p.  I rarely take the T60 anywhere because
of its abysmal battery life.

> Do certain models run considerably longer on battery?

Yes, the T4x run circles around the T6x, and the controls in the T42 seem
to be the best in the series.   I have clients with T43 models, and their
battery life doesn't stand up to the T42 units.

> Are certain models considerably lighter or smaller than others.

Generally, T4x 14.1" are lighter than 15" screens, 6 Cell battery models
are lighter than 9 Cell battery models, you can take the approach that the
Ultrabay empty is lighter than putting a drive or battery in there, too.
I've travelled T42 with two 6 Cell batteries and an Ultrabay cell, when I
had to do a lot of work during travel (not entertainment) and needed clean,
nondisruptive battery swaps.  Not sure TSA will let us do this anymore,
since all batteries are supposed to be carry on and in device now.  A 9
Cell and Ultrabay cell should get you 10 hours easy, with the DVD drive
external going through screening.

> What else should I take into account?

Bluetooth is very interesting.   I have upgraded A2DP, 2.0+EDR Mini-PCI
Bluetooth in both of my T42p, which means my mouse and stereo headsets are
simultaneously supported, and I have greater than 33 feet distance for the
Altec Lansing (my EDR A2DP headset).  Look for a model that already has the
In Screen Bluetooth antenna in it.

Bill Andrus