[ltp] Re: [Thinkpad] Booting a X31 from USB without the HPA to get into BIOS?

RayBay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:51:16 -0700

------=_Part_5461_7364652.1217620276466

"Is there any way to make this laptop from USB so I can reinstall the OS
on it?"

Sorry, but I don't understand the above question?   Is this the Linux HPA
partition?

Perhaps you could rephrase the questions?   Don't turn it off without
recovering your data, as the CHKSUM errors may be indicating a pending
failure, from which it may never boot again until you replace the drive.

RB

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Richard Hartmann <
richih.mailinglist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a X31 which does not have its HPA, any more. When pressing the
> Access IBM key during bootup, I get an error message about not being
> able to verify checksums or some such. I am using said laptop to write
> an email, but can easily provide the full error message if need be.
> As said laptop is not set up to boot from USB, I now have a problem.
>
> Is there any way to make this laptop from USB so I can reinstall the OS
> on it? Both Windows and Linux are installed at the moment so I can use
> tools which run on either.
>
> As the hdd of said laptop is dying, I need to reinstall and the sooner
> the better.
>

> Thanks for all input,
> Richard

________

Running in place at your computer burns 139 calories an hour.

------=_Part_5461_7364652.1217620276466

I have a X31 which does not have its HPA, any more. When pressing the<br>
Access IBM key during bootup, I get an error message about not being<br>
able to verify checksums or some such. I am using said laptop to write<br>
an email, but can easily provide the full error message if need be.<br>
As said laptop is not set up to boot from USB, I now have a problem.<br>
Is there any way to make this laptop from USB so I can reinstall the OS<br>
on it? Both Windows and Linux are installed at the moment so I can use<br>
tools which run on either.<br>
As the hdd of said laptop is dying, I need to reinstall and the sooner<br>
the better.<br>
Thanks for all input,<br>
Richard<br>