[ltp] T42 2.6.24 IDE

Jan Gutter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 06 Feb 2008 17:45:50 +0200

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 09:21 -0600, chris@idlelion.net wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Ralph Spitzner wrote:
>
> > Following the Torvals tree via git, on my Thinkpad
> > IDE is suddenly broken.
>
> > It loads the kernel off the ide disk but after a message about some UFS
> > stuff it just stops, if I turn lapic on I get tons of messages that
> > scroll so fast I can't read them, also they are not logged since the
> > root FS isn't mounted yet.
>
> > Any ideas ?

I've had brilliant success with netconsole as a module, but it's also
designed for in-kernel logging. There's a great tutorial in the linux
source directory under Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt

Aside from netconsole, you need another computer on the network running
netcat or some sort of compliant logger. The nice thing: it doesn't
interfere with normal operation in the least.

Just a small tip, remember to set your "magic" sysrq log level higher if
you don't see any messages, otherwise only the high-priority messages
get logged.

Jan