[ltp] Should I use 64-bit or 32-bit for my new Thinkpads?

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:44:29 -0800

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 16:35:49 -0500 (EST)
"David A. Desrosiers" <desrod@gnu-designs.com> dijo:

> Now down to the real question:
>
> Should I install a 64-bit Linux on the T61p, or stick with a 32-bit
> Linux? I'm not sure a 64-bit version of Linux would really give me any
> benefits, and it would certainly limit what software I can run by a
> fairly significant amount (the Adobe Flash plugin for Firefox being
> one good example).

I have a T61 on which I installed 64-bit Ubuntu as the only OS. Flash
works as soon as you go into System > Restricted Drivers Manager and
enable the proprietary flash module. So does the proprietary nVidia
video driver, which is needed if you want to do Compiz. Everything else
"just worked" out of the box, with the following exceptions:

* The Intel 4965AGN wireless card hangs up periodically. This is a
known problem and also affects 32-bit users, as well as Windows users.
My dim understanding is that the kernel that Hardy comes with will fix
the problem. Meantime I just use a Netgear card that I borrowed until
Hardy comes out.
* The sound buttons work after a BIOS upgrade (also affects 32-bit
users).
* The dim buttons work after certain fixes are applied, but I can't
remember what they are because I never bothered - 100% is fine with me.
Also affects 32-bit users.
* The splash screen does not appear on boot. You can 1) ignore it, 2)
delete "splash" from the boot line so you will have scrolling text or,
3) install splashy instead.

Other than the above I have not had one single program or utility fail
to install or run on my T61 with 64-bit Ubuntu. I have, however, run
across a lot of out of date misinformation about problems with 64-bit
Linux.

> Has anyone done an analysis using 32-bit vs. 64-bit Linux on this
> hardware?

There are quite a few threads on the Ubuntu forums (particularly the
x86_64 forum) where people have done comparisons and benchmark tests.
> Any other major gotchas I should consider before I receive these
> machines?

Try the live CDs for 32- and 64-bit distros and see what you think. It
would be hard to do benchmarks, but at least you can test drivers,
components and applications.