[ltp] Re: hardy kernel 2.6.24-8 occasional system hangs, t60p

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 12:12:06 -0500

On Sat, 2008-02-23 at 03:06 +0100, OndXXej BalXXXX wrote:
> In gmane.linux.hardware.thinkpad, you wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone else is testing hardy and seeing problems with
> > random hangs sometimes on a t60p.
>
> Are you using 2.6.24.x series ?
> Please look into your system logs and search for something like "Uhhh. NMI
> received for unknown reason a1 on cpu0". I suspecting some kind of regression in
> e1000 gigabit ethernet (are you connected to the wired network when these
> freezes occurs ?)

yep 2.6.24-8
I am using the wired network when this happens, i think always.
I did search for NMI in my log files, but didn't find this message.
I'll try to watch a console like you suggest to see if I find anything interesting.

A few data points:

It happened last night when I wasn't using the pc.
It does not seem to be related to temperature of the cpu or the graphics card.
It does not seem to be related to usb (happens with no usb activity)

> > I suspect a hardware problem given that alt+sysreq key combinations do
> > nothing - but maybe there's some other explanation.
>
> I suspected hardware too. But linux 2.6.19, solaris express DE and windows vista
> works without freezes.
I have not yet tried to switch back to an older kernel, but i will if
this keeps up.  But if older software works, it couldn't be hardware i
guess - right?

> > Is there some other way to debug given that I have no serial port on
> > this machine?
>
> maybe netlink.

I did some googling on debugging a remote kernel with netlink, but didn't find anything i could use.
Could you specify more?

> PS: My english is bad. I hope you'll understand.

no problem.