[ltp] A question about USB storage and ehci_hcd

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 17:30:04 -0700

After a long battle with technology, Dreamwander wrote:
> Ubuntu 7.10 on a T40p. I don't remember which kernel that was, but on this
> install i have 2.6.22-14-generic and 2.6.24-2-generic.
> The problem seems fairly common across machines: usb storage
> devices won't hold hardware addresses.

Explain?  Do you mean "USB devices may show up as /dev/sda or /dev/sdb
or /dev/barf depending on whether other devices are plugged in or the phase
of the moon"?  That's normal and expected.  The thing to do is to mount
removable disklike devices by label or by /dev/disk/by-uuid/ or something
like that.  Works well IME.

> Has anyone encountered this?  Has anyone solved it?  I've looked far and
> wide and have not had success with anyone else's solutions that i've found

I can't say as I don't know precisely what problem you're having.

--
   Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft.  That will just be a
   completely unintentional side effect.