[ltp] Ethernet / Pass through Ethernet on X60: off/on

Jeffrey Franc-Law linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:58:18 +0000

X60 with the X6 ultrabase.  Suse 10.2  I have been having trouble with
the wired ethernet, switching between the pass-through port on the base
and the cpu port.

Initially, the ethernet port on the cpu worked, but it would shut down
when the CPU was on the base, and the pass-through port on the ethernet
didn't work. Same thing happened on windows, so I thought it was a
hardware problem.  Sent the ultrabase back to lenovo, they gave me a new
one and it worked as needed.  That was a few months ago.

Now, i'm having the opposite problem.  The pass through ethernet on the
Ultrabase is working, but when I eject the cpu from the ultrabase the
ethernet port on the CPU doesn't work.  Same thing when booting in windows.

I think this must be some hardware problem, with how the machine knows
when to use the CPU port and when to use the pass through port.

I always shut the machine off before ejecting when using linux.  I tried
booting the thing in windows then ejecting using the windows
intstruction.  I have tried rebooting in linux both on and off the
ultrabase, but things won't change.  There is no proc/acpi/ibm/bay, so i
can't try that.  I tried pushing the button beside the green arrow on
the bay while in linux (eject button).  The green light blinks for a
while, then turns off, but the green arrow pointing to the eject lever
does not go on, and the red light saying "don't eject" does not go off.
  I ejected the thing anyways to see what happened...didn't help, and
then the wireless doesn't work properly. Reboot...everything works
except the cpu ethernet port.  No help from google search.

any ideas?

ciao,
jef

--
Jeffrey Michael Franc-Law, MD, CCFP.EM, D Sport Med, EMDM
Assistant Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine, University of Alberta

PGP key at:
http://keyserver.veridis.com:11371/search?q=jeffrey+franc-law&searchformsubmit=Search

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com