[ltp] T23 and eye strain

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 17:05:25 -0500

* Richard Neill <rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk> [2008 Jul 15 13:20 -0500]:

> Incidentally, you can fairly easily replace the backlights if you want.

The IBM HMM does not describe the backlight seperately, so I assume, as
another message confirms, that IBM considered it a part of the LCD.
:-/

Truthfully, my display is not very dim at all, so I really doesn't
suspect changing the backlight would improve the situation.

> Lastly, if you're getting eye-strain, have you checked your fonts? Many
> people (myself included) find that anti-aliasing causes eye-strain: the
> fonts have "blurry" outlines, so are hard to focus on.
> More here: http://www.richardneill.org/a22p-mdk11-0.php#fonts

That sucks, as I really can't stand looking at blocky, jagged fonts.  I
did that for too many years telling myself it was worth it for using
and promoting Free Software. Even though AA may cause the strain, the
blocky fonts, as on the Win 2k disk I have, are horrendous.

I thought about refresh rate, but it seems LCDs are stuck at 60 Hz which
drives me nuts as well, at least on the old CRTs it was intolerable.

I guess I need a laptop with a super twist LCD.

- Nate >>