[ltp] Please help me pick out my next thinkpad

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:37:46 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi folks,
>
> I am in the market for a new thinkpad and need your help.
>
> My requirement is a small laptop, so the X-series seems the
> most likely candidate. So what should I order?
> In other words, combination of what graphics card, wireless, etc,
> should I get to ensure the best possible compatibility with
> Linux? I plan to install either Ubuntu or Fedora.
>
> Wireless and suspend/resume MUST work. Multimedia stuff would
> be nice.

You could get a used X30-X32, X40-41, X60-61, or a new X300.

Personally, I have a T60 which works extremely well using Fedora 8.

There are so many things to consider! It really depends on your immediate
and near-future needs.

Do you need or want
- WiFi built in?
- Fingerprint reader?
- SATA hard drive?
- Disk over 60GB? (X4x is out)
- Tablet?
- More than 12.1" screen?
- WWAN?
- Battery life
- Optical drive
- USB port speed and quantity
- Firewire
- Graphics performance
- Wide/shortscreen or "normal"
- Remaining and available warranty
- Maximum memory

And Linux capabilities are changing very quickly. What doesn't work today
will likely work tomorrow.

Check out www.thinkwiki.org for hardware you're considering to see how
they got theirs working.

Best,
Chris

PS - Buy the X300. Ask if you can get Linux pre-installed.  :)