[ltp] Please help me pick out my next thinkpad

Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:09:21 +0300

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:38:36PM -0400, Norman Ramsey wrote:
>  > You could get a used X30-X32, X40-41, X60-61, or a new X300.
>  >=20
>  > PS - Buy the X300. Ask if you can get Linux pre-installed.  :)
>=20
> Presciently, I followed your advice and ordered an X300 a month ago.
> It has just arrived.  Does anybody know if Linux actually runs on it,
> and if so, what does and does not work?  Before I ordered, I searched
> this list for 'X300' and found only mutterings about ATI graphics
> chips :-)
>=20
> I was thinking of running vmware and waiting for drivers to catch up,
> but if there's a better alternative I'd love to know.

Stick an Ubuntu Hardy live CD in it and report your experiences here.
Of course that assumes you have the model with the DVD drive (I drooled
when I saw the pictures).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
As a rule of thumb, I reckon Python to be an order of magnitude more wastef=
ul
of CPU cycles and memory than my favourite low-level language, C++.
                -- Thomas Guest

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd--