[ltp] t43p hardware problems

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Jun 2008 18:37:33 +0200

Hi Steven,
>      I have a t43p with 15" screen, that I bought nearly three years
> ago (summer of 2005).  I've been very happy with ubuntu and my T43p
> for most of the time I've had it.  Now it's almost at the end of the
> hardware warranty, and I'm experiencing several hardware issues.
>
> My fan died in 2007, which was annoying enough, ...
> and also replaced my battery at that time, due to a battery recall...
> Mid-may 2008, my drive failed...
> I started having problems with my wireless...
> I started having problems with the laptop failing to boot up...

I feel that your t43 becomes (too) old.

During the warranty of my t42, IBM changes first the fan, and one year
later the mother-board because the display  had fuzzy errors. Now the
cd-writer is almost(?) broken, but the warranty is out of date.

Twice IBM takes the laptop without the hard drive. I keep it.
Twice I test my laptop in order to describe not a fuzzy brakedown but a
real and obvious brakedown. I keep and use the window partition only for
theses tests.

F.