[ltp] eee pc and thinkpad x40 comparison: a couple of questions

Paul Fox linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:04:45 -0500

marcin wrote:
 > Well flash memory cards are way faster then a 1.8" HDD, but it requires
 > a customized distro not to wear the flash too soon. I'm considering

customized?  how?

compact flash has internal wear-leveling, which helps make sure
it all wears out at once.

other than that, i wouldn't worry about it.  maybe move some very
dynamic things thing in /var (e.g., /var/run, and /var/log if you're
very brave ;-) to ramdisk, but other than that?

(if you have real suggestions, i'm interested, since i just
switched to bigger CF cards on a couple of thin-client machines
in my home, which lets me run "standard" distributions rather
than the stripped/customized stuff i was running before.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us (arlington, ma, where it's 28.6 degrees)