[ltp] T60 lockups (ACPI?)

Mon, 17 Mar 2008 04:17:31 +0000

Dear All,

I wonder whether anyone has seen the following weird symptoms before:

The machine is a T60p, which has been running Ubuntu Feisty fairly
reliably for 6 months. (I'm using the VESA driver, so no weird
proprietary things either)

A few months ago, I experienced several complete lockups of the machine,
which were really weird - it wouldn't boot much past grub - it hangs at
the first mention of ACPI. Memtest ran fine, and XP would also not
start. I found that booting with
   acpi=off noapic nolapic
would make the machine come up reliably (though without any
power-management).  Sometimes, the trackpoint would be dead, and
sometimes I get the message "ata1: port is slow to respond" during boot.

This problem went away, and all worked fine for a while, but now it's
back. The machine crashed hard a few minutes ago for no particularly
good reason (I wasn't even doing anything strenuous, just moving a few
files around in bash). I had to do a hard-reset, and I have had to make
multiple attempts at booting to get it to come up. The "noacpi noapic
nolapic" trick worked again.

Any thoughts? Do I have dodgy hardware?

Thanks,

Richard