[ltp] any successes with 2.5 inch laptop-IDE-drive USB enclosures?

John Lumby linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Mar 2008 00:37:38 -0400

--_d9bd8f54-0e38-4cb6-acd5-1967752af91a_

Thanks for the rapid replies on this.     So clearly the unanimous opinion =
is the power supply.

Kiko Piris=20
    wrote
>  ...some laptops do not provide enough current on the usb port and a seco=
nd usb cable (the power one that comes with those enclosures) is required.

Pablo Vera wrote:
> Does your enclosure has a Y split cable ?, what is the power rating for t=
he drive ?

Yes, both the ones I tried came with y-cables and I plugged each into a sep=
arate usb port

> One USB port =3D 500 mA
> Two USB ports =3D 1000 mA =3D 1 Amp

(but whether those two ports running together can draw combined 1 Amp may b=
e questionable?)

The power ratings of the two drives I tried are :

old 30GB drive - 1Amp - and this one worked (could read ptn table)
new(er) Toshiba 40GB - 0.8 Amp - failed to read ptn table

Christian Nilsson wrote:

> However some times you have to get a external power supply

I asked the guy in the store where I bought them (and returned both) specif=
ically that question, as the instructions
with the machines were very vague about whether or not needed, and he assur=
ed me that the two usb cables=20
would be sufficient and there was no possibility that lack of power was the=
 explanation.
And since the 1-Amp drive was working, I thought that supported that theory=
.

> the enclosures you are using are found and is available thru /dev/sd? ?

Yes, drive visible and its manufacturer and attributes reported correctly -=
 just no partition table.
I will buy another enclosure together with power supply and see how I do wi=
th that.

If anyone has tried several and has any recommendation on which is a good o=
ne (reliable), I'd appreciate hearing.
Also if any controller manufacturer is better than others?
Also - for the power supply - is that 5V 1 amp or is it recommended to use =
an even higher power?=20
(I remember the instructions for one of them gave a spec but now I don't ha=
ve those)
Thanks all,   John

Sympatico/MSN Autos wants to put YOU in a 2008 Eclipse! Click here to enter=
!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_d9bd8f54-0e38-4cb6-acd5-1967752af91a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Thanks for the rapid replies on this.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; So clearly th=
urier New,Courier,Monospace;">...some laptops do not provide enough current=
 on the usb port and a second usb cable (the power one that comes with thos=
><pre>&gt; Does your enclosure has a Y split cable ?, what is the power rat=
ing for the drive ?<br><br>Yes, both the ones I tried came with y-cables an=
d I plugged each into a separate usb port<br><br>&gt; One USB port =3D 500 =
o ports running together can draw combined 1 Amp may be questionable?)<br><=
br>The power ratings of the two drives I tried are :<br><br>old 30GB drive =
- 1Amp - and this one worked (could read ptn table)<br>new(er) Toshiba 40GB=
power supply<br><br>I asked the guy in the store where I bought them (and r=
eturned both) specifically that question, as the instructions<br>with the m=
achines were very vague about whether or not needed, and he assured me that=
 the two usb cables <br>would be sufficient and there was no possibility th=
at lack of power was the explanation.<br>And since the 1-Amp drive was work=
ing, I thought that supported that theory.<br><br>&gt; the enclosures you a=
re using are found and is available thru /dev/sd? ?<br><br>Yes, drive visib=
le and its manufacturer and attributes reported correctly - just no partiti=
on table.<br>I will buy another enclosure together with power supply and se=
e how I do with that.<br><br>If anyone has tried several and has any recomm=
endation on which is a good one (reliable), I'd appreciate hearing.<br>Also=
 if any controller manufacturer is better than others?<br>Also - for the po=
wer supply - is that 5V 1 amp or is it recommended to use an even higher po=
wer? <br>(I remember the instructions for one of them gave a spec but now I=
 could win a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse from Sympatico / MSN Autos.  <a href=
=3D'http://g.msn.ca/ca55/210' target=3D'_new'>Hunt for the Total Eclipse NO=
W!</a></body>

--_d9bd8f54-0e38-4cb6-acd5-1967752af91a_--