[ltp] diagnosing a freeze on T60p with ubuntu hardy

Wed, 21 May 2008 13:03:47 -0400

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM, Phil Shotton <phil@stairbridge.org.uk> wrote:
> I'm definitely leaning towards the X-server. However without any log output
> or diagnostics it's hard to raise a bug report. But observations from many
> many hangs:
>
>   * Never occurs when display is 'idle'. Normal provoker is
>     full-screen video, I've had mplayer cause a freeze using both the
>     gl2 video output driver and the xv one.
>   * I've also managed to have it hang when moving windows around while
>     menus are popping up (heavy use of Eclipse)
>   * Freeze is not total immediately, sometimes mouse pointer continues
>     to move, and sometimes I can switch to a vt. After around 10
>     seconds everything locks.
>   * I've had no success trying the magic sysreq key, even when vt
>     switch still works. Not sure if I've got the right configuration
>     for this to be active.
>
> Alex earlier posted:
>
> For those that are interested, 3D support for r5xx is progressing
> nicely, although it's still alpha quality at the moment (mostly
> missing FS setup).  It's available on the r500-support branch of mesa
> git.  You'll need drm and xserver from git as well.
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/log/?h=r500-support
>
> I'd like to give this a go; maybe drm or xserver might have a fix that
> influences this, but I'm not sure how to go about getting and building
> everything. Although I'm an experienced programmer I'm not very familiar
> with git or the interrelationships between all the video components. If
> someone could post an idiots guide I'll definitely give it a go.

If you are running debian or ubunutu you can grab packages here:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32602
Otherwise you'll have to build everything from source.  You'll need:
drm git master (both kernel components and libdrm)
mesa from the r500-support branch in git
xf86-video-ati from git master.
xserver from git yesterday or before (prior to the swrast dri changes)

Alex