[ltp] Is 3D possible on FireGL 5250?

Bill Moseley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 22 May 2008 10:45:15 -0700

I'm just getting more confused.  I have a T60p with the FireGL 5250.
I was running Gutsy and had Compiz, and good 3D and full screen video
performance.  (Just no sleep or hibernate.)

On Gutsy I had installed xserver-xgl and the fglrx driver off the ATI
site.

I did a clean install of Hardy.

I'm currently using the Radeon driver.  Works great for sleep.  Can't
run 3D games or full screen video with Mplayer.

Yesterday I tried to install the fglrx driver using EnvyNG and that fails
saying DRI could not be initialized[1] and I get a blank screen.

I was able to find posts from others with the blank screen, and other
posts were people stated the current ATI driver doesn't work on this
card, although I have no idea if that's true.

I looked at the RadeonHD driver, but no 3D support there so I didn't
install.

What are other's with this hardware using for their driver?  Do I need
to revert to an older version of the fglrx driver that works with
xserver-xgl?

Thanks,

[1]

(WW) fglrx(0): could not detect X server version (query_status=-3)
(EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized.+
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org