[ltp] Bad fan behaviour in X61s caused by GPU temperatur sensor

Sat, 5 Dec 2009 13:03:46 -0200

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> > That made me conclude I could simply reduce that trigger temperature
> > at the wireless. (Now if the BIOS was open source ...:) )
>
> Did you manage to reduce the wireless temperature? I tried lowering the
> signal strength on the X60, but this doesn???t seem to affect how hot the
> right palmrest gets. :(

Use the power management of the wireless card.  You can tell it to shorten
the window it is allowed to use, and it will use less power accordingly.
Network throughput _will_ be reduced, and network latency might increase as
well.

On a ipw2100/2200/2950, you have to use iwpriv get_power/set_power to do it.
I use modes 6 (AC, full time slots) and 7 (battery, shortest possible
slots), for example.  There are intermediate steps, but I never found a good
use for them as I am either doing heavy network use and need mode 6, or
interactive ssh sessions, for which mode 7 is quite good enough.

I believe newer cards have to use "iw" instead to set their power management
strategy, since they use the softmac layer in the kernel.

  Henrique Holschuh