[ltp] Bad fan behaviour in X61s caused by GPU temperatur sensor

Thomas Kahle linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 05 Dec 2009 16:15:25 +0100

--------------enig00FE721B15500C0EDDC766A0

Shot (Piotr Szotkowski) wrote:
> Thomas Kahle:
>=20
>> In my case I came to the conclusion that the fan is triggered by the
>> wireless temperature while it is just to far away (physically) from
>> the wireless card to cool it. So it would stay on all the time and the=

>> wireless would still stay at the trigger temperature.
>=20
>> That made me conclude I could simply reduce that trigger temperature
>> at the wireless. (Now if the BIOS was open source ...:) )
>=20
> Did you manage to reduce the wireless temperature? I tried lowering the=

> signal strength on the X60, but this doesn=E2=80=99t seem to affect how=
 hot the
> right palmrest gets. :(

Like Henrique wrote, the powermanagement solves the hot palmrest issue
for me. It still gets warm, but temperature is acceptable for me.
On my thinkpad there is also the fingerprint reader on the right hand
side of the palmrest. A couple of months ago there was some bug which
would make it heat up. I solved that by enabling usb powermanagement.

cheers
Thomas

--=20
Thomas Kahle

The fundamental theorem of algebra is open source. Like any other
mathematical theorem it can be applied free of charge and everybody
has access to its proof and can convince himself how it works. Why
should software be any different?