[ltp] Power supply requirements of a T41

Joerg Bruehe linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:51:15 +0100

Dear all,

this weekend, I bought a used T41 on a computer fair to set it up for my
nephew. It was running fine on the fair, didn't show any defects.

Only back home, I discovered that the machine is labeled  16 V, 4.5 A
whereas the power supply unit is labeled (for the output) 16 V, 3.36 A

My questions:
- Does anybody know the power used by the machine during normal
  operation (worst-case, no special steps taken to reduce consumption) ?
(I looked at Thinkwiki but didn't find any info - pointers are welcome.)

- Those of you who own a T41: Could you please look at your PSUs and
  tell me their labeling ?
(This one reads "P/N 02K6543", "FRU P/N 02K6555".)

With my R51, both the machine and its PSU are labeled 4.5 A (but I want
to keep my PSU ;-)

Here are the T41 details, in case they matter:

- Model 2373 TG5
- Centrino 1.7 GHz, 1 GB RAM (2* 512 MB), 14.1" screen 1400*1050
- ATI Radeon Mobility 9000
- original 40 GB disk drive replaced by 160 GB
- CD / DVD combo drive
- Bluetooth, 802.11 a/b/g WLAN (Atheros chip)
- small battery only (10.8 V, 4.4 Ah)
- I expect he will use a USB mouse, but will discourage him from any
  other USB-powered device (especially external disks).

Operating system is/will be Windows XP Professional (he lives far from
me, so I won't be available to help with Linux, sadly - all I could do
was leave space for a Linux partition to turn it into dual-boot when he
is a bit older and more interested).

When I set up partitions, re-installed the OS with all the Lenovo
drivers and additional software (Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice.org,
Acrobat Reader, ...), activated it for Microsoft updates etc this took
at least 6 hours. All this time, the machine was running from the PSU
which got about handwarm, not hot, so maybe it is sufficient ...

Thanks for all your hints / experiences / comments,
and all the best for 2009,

J=F6rg

--=20
Joerg Bruehe  - persoenliche Aeusserung / speaking only for himself
mailto:joerg.bruehe@web.de