[ltp] Screen goes black when I apply pressure on lid/lcd.

Aquafresh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 28 Jan 2009 04:39:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi guys,

Recently I purchased a used Thinkpad T42p, together with an external IBM
T120 monitor.

But when I was cleaning the Thinkpad a little , I noticed that when I apply
pressure at some points on the LCD (or on the backside of the lid as well)
that the entire screen goes completely black.

When I release pressure the screen comes back on immediately.
This only seems to apply for the middle and lower area of the lid/screen.

FYI, when the screen is on, it just stays on for hours without problems.
Nor does it go black when i open and close the lid repeatedly.

I know the guy who I bought it from had the external monitor placed on top
of the closed laptop. (It's a considerable weight, but the lid does not look
bent really...)

Can someone help me identify the problem? Some possible issues or maybe even
help exclude some issues as well? backlight issue? aged LCD videocable?...

regards,
Aquafresh