[ltp] RFC : a hotkey, backlight, and bluetooth driver for SL series thinkpads

Fri, 30 Jan 2009 01:17:35 -0200

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
> It does not support the hdaps accelerometer (which the SL series
> machines theoretically come with), and frankly, I have no idea where
> to start on that particular feature. Also, it does not check for BIOS

Open the thing, find out which EC it is, download the manuals from the
EC vendor, disassemble the firmware, and work from there.  Check if it
is legal for you to do that, first.

Either that, or do it how it was done for the first (limited) hdaps
support we had for real thinkpads: reverse engineer the Windows
driver.  Same caveat as above.

And you probably want to do it clean-room style if you're touching the
windows drivers, so you need someone to help you.  One does the
reverse engineering and documents stuff.  The other writes the new
code based only on the documentation the first person wrote.

> Mostly, I am posting this because I am not sure where to go with the
> driver in the future. Should it be integrated into the thinkpad_acpi
> driver? While the bluetooth support is basically copypasta from
> thinkpad_acpi, the hotkey and screen brightness interfaces seem to
> have nothing in common with the rest of the ThinkPad series.

No, better have it in its own driver.

  Henrique Holschuh