[ltp] Summary: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

Theodore Tso linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:53:17 -0500

On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 12:13:27AM -0500, Ajai Khattri wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009, Adrian Walker wrote:
>
> > I have had a Thnkpad X60s for a couple of years now, running Linux Red Hat
> > Fedora 6.  Most satisfactory with Linux.  About 8 hours with the battery
> > that clips on the back.
>
> Why does everyone keep mentioning ThinkPads? They are NOT netbooks.
> Compared to a netbook, the ThinkPads are heavy, clunky and ugly.

I have both the Lenovo S10 and the Thinkpad X61s.  If you put the
small battery on the X61s, the weight isn't *that* much different.  It
really is a continuum.  The S10 is 9.8" x 7.2" by 0.81-1.08", and
weighs 2.4 pounds.  The X61s is 10.5" x 8.3" by 0.8-1.1", and weighs 3
pounds (with the smallest battery).

So basically an inch deeper and an inch wider, and 0.6 pounds heavier.
Except if you're also going to carry around the the AC adapter, and a
proper laptop case to protect it, you're really not going to notice
the extra half pound.

Maybe you're thinking more about the T61, which in the 15.4" version
weighs 5.67 pounds with the 9 cell battery, and has dimensions of
14.1" x 10.0" x 1.2-1.4"?  Or the W700, which weighs 8.3 pounds, and
has dimenions of 16.1" x 12.2" x 1.6"?

As another example, the Acer One AOD 150 Netbook is 10.2" x 7.28" x
1.31" and weighs 2.95 pounds, which is darned close to the X61
dimensions.  Yes, there are 7" and 9" netbooks that will be smaller,
but the X61 really isn't that much different from the 10" netbooks ---
and it has a real keyboard with real shift keys, something which most
netbooks lack, alas --- the excuse being that all you will be doing is
pointing and clicking as you browse the web, I suppose.

	     	      	     	    	     - Ted