[ltp] Summary: Netbook. Looking for THE machine

S. Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:24:08 -0800

On Mar 1, 2009, at 7:51 PM, Theodore Tso wrote:

> I will say that the HP MiniNote has a much better keyboard that the
> Lenovo S10; I wish Lenovo had put a real keyboard on the S10.

You know, Lenovo needs to take a second look at the Thinkpad 240 as a
potential model for a future IdeaPad Netbook.

Here's the model on the ThinkWiki website. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:240

Considering the size and aspect ratio of most LCD panels put out
today, a modern version of this machine would likely be stretched
wider. Lenovo's IdeaPad S has a 10.2 widescreen display. But the key
to why this rules even though it's almost 9 years old and why most
Netbooks suck is THE KEYBOARD AND THE POINTING DEVICE. The Thinkpad
240 has a REAL Thinkpad keyboard. It's not as good as a 600 or a T2x
keyboard but it's light-years ahead of modern Netbook keyboards. And
even the Lenovo IdeaPad doesn't have a TRACKPOINT!!! You don't expect
it from other manufacturers but I would have thought it would be a no-
brainer to put a trackpoint on a Lenovo IdeaPad. STOOPID Lenovo!!! The
trackpoint is small and easy and all you'd have to have below the
keyboard would be the buttons.

Seriously. Guys. Go look at a Thinkpad 240. Look and learn. Use it as
your model for reinventing the IdeaPad. Improve it with an Atom
processor with option for Dual-core Atom, a SO-DIMM slot with a max
RAM of 2GB, 16 GB SSD with option for 32 or 64, use the same LCD you
use with the IdeaPad S, subtract the trackpad, add a bright red happy
trackpoint and Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and VOILA! Idea Pad S240! It
would be the best Netbook ever.

And yeah, I just added a Thinkpad 240 to my collection of vintage
computers. Love it. Putting a decent Linux distro on there (xubuntu)
will be a bear (Install from another machine using a USB to Notebook
PATA cable) but once it happens, I will have *zero* Netbook envy.