[ltp] QUESTION: HAL support for some T42 keys?

Wed, 23 Sep 2009 00:01:49 -0300

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009, Guarded Identity wrote:
> I ran lshal -m, and I get a response for /almost/ all the fancy Thinkpad keys
> on my T42.  However, there's some keys that only tpb recognizes, namely:
>
>     - volume up, down, and mute
>
>     - brightness up and down

I highly suggest you leave them alone.  These are _NOT_ general use keys in
the T42.  Or on any IBM ThinkPad, for that matter.

>     - thinkpad light

Reprogram the keymap if you want to mess with it, but you cannot override
its function to toggle the thinklight unless you hack the DSDT.  That's why
it doesn't generate any keycodes by default.

> Just curious what people's thoughts were on this.  In the meantime, I'm

Read the thinkpad-acpi driver documentation...

> probably going to run a combination of halevt and tpb to get all the
> functionality I'm looking for.  But I'd rather get everything I need with
> halevt and drop tpb if I can.

What functionality are you looking for?  Broken volume response?  Reduced
lifetime on your LCD inverter and bad backlight control behaviour?

  Henrique Holschuh