[ltp] Problems with (non-Lenovo) battery

Arno Trautmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:27:09 +0100

--------------enigA85EC5469E51B45D8F41E599

Hi all!

I'm using an X61s with Arch Linux.

Two questions, short one first:
The wifi-light of my machine keeps blinking. The connection is ok and
stable, but it blinks with about 2Hz frequency. This is quite annoying
when I try to concentrate. Any idea to prevent it from blinking?

Long question:
Some time ago my original battery (8-cell) lost its capacitance and I
needed a new one. As they are quite expensive, I bought one
non-original. (also 8-cell) That one works fine, except for longer times
on battery:

/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            0 mW
remaining capacity:      62290 mWh
present voltage:         15765 mV

This file may show a remaining capacity of, say , 40000mWh, but suddenly
the machine just turns off. When connected to power supply again, I get
capacitance close to the value before, so the power is not just "lost"
anyhow.
However, I guess it might be that the voltage drops below some critical
value (is below 15V then) that might be slightly higher on original
batteries. Is that possible? If so, is there a way to prevent the
machine from shutting down by decreasing this value slightly?

I=E2=80=99m happy for any suggestions,
cheers
Arno