[ltp] CPU temperature at 80°C and above , despite fan running at maximum speed ( Thinkpad Z61m)

rocku linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 17 Jan 2010 12:22:11 +0100

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh pisze:
> 2. Repair the thermal interfaces between the thermal sink and the chips, and
> while at it, wherever a thermal pad is not required, use Arctic Silver 5 or
> another A+, high viscosity, high aderence thermal compound.  They are a pain
> to apply right, but if whatever the factory used did break, it means the easy
> stuff with low viscosity won't last.

I can agree with this. My Lenovo SL500 was running ~65°C when idle and
went to 100°C when at full load, even with fan running at full speed. At
first I thought it was caused by bad design, but eventually I
disassembled the case and did a major clean up from dust and also
removed the heatsinks to reapply some thermal grease under the CPU and
GPU heatsink (firstly cleaned up what remained of what the factory
applied). Now my laptop is running at ~40°C when idle and doesn't exceed
80°C when at full load and the fan is barely audible.

--
Pozdrawiam,
rocku