[ltp] T41 opinions please

Jeffrey L. Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 May 2010 17:51:47 -0500

Quoting bhaskins@chartermi.net <bhaskins@chartermi.net>:
> A close friend of mine has run into a buy on a like-new T41 at a good price.
> He asked for my opinion but this is one model that I have not used.
> Are there any known problems with this model?

I have a T41 that arrived two weeks before the T42s were announced.  It is 5
or maybe 6 years old.  lspci claims the video card is:

ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility FireGL 9000]

However, my memory is that the FireGL 9000 is the T41p.

Anyway, it has been in daily use for the whole time as a development machine
with several servers running (i.e., it is always active, even if I'm not at
the keyboard).

It will run the Quake II engine, but not newer GPU intensive games, including
Neverball, at least not for long.  Heat is a problem.  OpenArena (QII engine)
runs the CPU up to 70C and the GPU to 75C.  It will not run at 100% CPU for
long.

Much of it's life it has lived out of a backpack or laptop bag.

I have been happy with it, but am outgrowing disk space, CPU, and GPU needs.
I push computers hard but am fairly good at protecting them physically.

Jeffrey