[ltp] R31 Sleep...Can We Resolve This

Simon Royal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:14:35 +0000

Hi

I have just about sorted all the problems out on my ThinkPad R31 under
Ubuntu, except sleep.

When I close the lid I want it to sleep and then wake when I open it.
I have been playing with the different settings and cannot it to work
as I would like, so I thought I would throw it over to you guys to see
if you could help.

Ive always worked on laptops and never come across this problem. Mac
OSX is the fastest for coming back from sleep, you open the lid and
within two or three seconds it is up and running - even on my old 10
year old G3 PowerBook it does it. Windows XP takes a bit longer and
then you get faced with a log back in screen.

I find it odd that my 10 year old G3 500Mhz Mac can come back from
sleep within seconds but my sons 2.2Ghz P4 laptop takes about 20
seconds to get back.

Ive run Ubuntu and various other buntu and non-bunto based distros on
other hardware - x86 and PPC - and never had sleep problems like this.

I had a ThinkPad 600 and 240x about a year ago and they just worked
with sleep. Open the lid and it comes back on, sometimes faced with a
log back in screen but it worked.

So why can I not get this R31 to behave in a similar way? Why would a
600 and 240x have better power down support than this R31?

If I press Fn+F4 it will go to sleep, but then coming back on takes a
boot (bios splash, grub etc) and then you get the log back in screen.

That is my work around at present. It is slightly faster than a full
boot but still not that quick. My other option is for when the lid is
shut just to blank the screen but that doesnt shut any hardware off or
conserve battery life.

My PowerBook can sleep for about 5 days and then open it up and bang,
its back on again. Thats what I would like for my ThinkPad. I have my
laptops running 24/7, I have never turned them off, just shut the lid
and open it when I need it.

So if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I must add, that this is a Ubuntu issue - or Linux issue - as XP
sleeps and wakes correctly.

Regards

Simon

--=20
--- Twitter:=A0http://twitter.com/SimonRoyal=A0- LowEndMac:
http://tinyurl.com/macspectrum=A0- Skype: Simon-Royal.
--- IBM ThinkPad R31 running Ubuntu 10.10 & Windows XP Home. Apple
PowerBook G3 'Pismo' running OSX 10.4. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
Pro running 2.1