[ltp] New ThinkPad

Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:55:35 +0100

On 19/06/11 04:43, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011, James Knott wrote:
>> Micha Feigin wrote:
>>> I hate the 16:9 as well. Great for movies (as they are in 16:9
>>> ratio these days), but horrible for text (seems like we're going
>>> back to one line terminals in the not so far future the way
>>> screens are going).
>>
>> As I mentioned in another note, I have a 16:9 monitor, which
>> replaced a 4:3 one.  I find it's much better, as I can have two
>> documents side by side etc.  BTW, I also have a cable box plugged
>> into it, so I can use it to watch HD TV .
>
> It is not the 16:9.  It is the vertical resolution you will have to
> tolerate in a 16:9 _laptop_ if you don't want to carry something that
> feels like a plank around.
>
> 16:9 is quite good when you have a 25" display in the first place.  In a
> laptop, it is just idiotic.  If you want any proof, look closely at the new
> ThinkPad X1.

I always think of them as "shortscreens" because an "X inch diagonal"
"widescreen" has fewer pixels, and less area than the same "X inch" 4:3
screen.

The best possible upgrade seems to be this:

  - Start with a T60p (4:3)
  - Upgrade the screen to 2048x1532 @ 15.1"
  - Max out the RAM, change to Wifi-n
  - Upgrade CPU to fastest Core 2 duo  (64-bit).
  - If you want 8 GB of RAM, change the motherboard to that from a T61.
  - Add USB 3.0 via PCMCIA.

Richard