[ltp] SD cards on T61

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 13:16:26 -0700

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:34:25 +0200
Paul Seelig <pseelig@rumbero.es> dijo:

>There is no problem for me mounting SD cards in my very own T61
>6460-7EU running usually the latest available package versions from
>Debian/unstable. The same caveat as described by Marius Gedminas seems
>to apply as well, though.
>
>Have you ever tried using bothe the SD card and reader on your T61
>6460-7EU with any other operating system on the very same machine? Any
>suitable Live CD should be enough to try.

Yes, I tried Ubuntu Lucid, Knoppix, GRML (both 64-bit) and The Ultimate
Boot Disk. The latter two are rescue/utility CDs. All mounted the card
just fine, but read-only. None were able to reformat it, delete
partitions, or otherwise touch it.

However, the card mounts read-write in my Android phone, and yesterday
I tried it at the university in Mac and Windows 7 computers, all of
which mounted it read-write. Using the Windows computer I reformatted
it NTFS, just to be sure that if SanDisk did anything evil to the card
it would be wiped out.

I have a local Linux user friend who has a Dell that uses the same
reader hardware. He has no problem. And we have shared module info and
we are using the same modules, although his OS is 32-bits. Now I hear
from you and Marius that you have no problem. I am beginning to suspect
a hardware fault in the reader. I have the service manual and later
today I will see what might be involved in replacing the hardware.

Thanks for the response!