[ltp] T60p: thinkpad_acpi automatic module loading

Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:22:13 -0300

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Kevin Locke wrote:
> Recently the thinkpad_acpi module stopped loading automatically during
> startup on my T60p (2613-ESU with BIOS "79ETE7WW (2.27 )") running
> Debian testing (udev 175-3.1) and a vanilla kernel.  I thought it was
> a result of upgrading to kernel 3.3, but testing with 3.2 and 3.1 now
> shows the same behavior.  I am certain it was a recent change, but
> can't find the cause.
>
> I have tried running udev with debug logging and didn't observe
> anything suspicious (although I am unsure what to look for) and I have
> not noticed any other modules which have ceased to load automatically.
> Also, note that thinkpad_acpi loads without issue via modprobe or
> being listed in /etc/modules, the only problem I am having is that it
> has stopped loading automatically.
>
> Any suggestions for how to debug this, or module auto-loading in
> general, would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, I can help.  First, check whether adding thinkpad_acpi.ko to the
initramfs fixes it.  If it does, report a bug on the distro.  It should
re-attempt autoloading after the initramfs hands over control to
init/systemd/whatever, or it will cause this sort of breakage.

If that doesn't fix it, we will have to assert whether some autoloading
information is missing.

Please run modinfo in the thinkpad_acpi.ko file for your kernel (make *sure*
you get the right file).  I need to know all "alias:" lines reported by
modinfo.

Then, I need to know whether the expected aliases are present in sysfs,
autoloading happens when something in sysfs declares an attribute "modalias"
whose contents are present in the "alias" fields of a module.

In a ThinkPad T43, thinkpad-acpi is autoloaded because this node:
/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:01/PNP0C09:00/IBM0068:00/modalias

contains:
acpi:IBM0068:

which will match one of the alias fields that should be in thinkpad_acpi.ko
(alias: acpi*:IBM0068:*) as reported by modinfo.

You should probably have an IBM0068 device somewhere in a T60/p.

If the autoloading information is there, it is likely something wrong with
udev.

  Henrique Holschuh