[ltp] Re: T520: With or without NVIDIA-Graphic?

Andreas Siegert linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 04 May 2012 10:14:49 +0200

Ok,
my T520 4240-cto with the i7 (2670QM) Quadcore and the 1900x1080 screen
arrived yesterday. I have the bigger battery installed. First estimate is
3+ hours of battery life, after letting it idle for a while that went to
6hours.
The power supply is a monster compared to what I am used to from the T61,
at least twice the volume. The system itself weighs a bit less than my T61
though.

I have set the BIOS video option to discrete.

First test was to install XUbuntu 12.4.
It installed the Nouveau drivers automatically and does not even offer the
proprietary Nvidia drivers in the Additional Drivers tool.

Youtube videos run fine so far (I only tried two...)

AfterShot Pro runs fine after installing the 32bit libs, will be
interesting to see how it performs with 4 cores plus 4 hyperthreads ;-)

Dualscreen via VGA port works with xrandr (Now I just need a graphical
tool for ease of configuration), the graphical xrandr tools that I have
seen on 11.10 seem to be gone.

Sleep works out of the box (via FN-F4 as well as closing the lid). Sound
works. Volume is reasonable.
Sound keys do not work, but that should be trivial to set up once I
install the production system, too lazy to check on the test system.

I will take out the disk and swap it for my old one and try to migrate a
32bit installation to 64bit...
That sure will be fun over the weekend (weather report still promises
rain) ;-)

Screen looks fine out of the box, but I'll only start to judge it once it
has been calibrated via my ColorMunki.
As the box works with the Nouveau driver which should have full Xrandr
support I expect to be able to calibrate the built in screen and my
external monitor individually so I will finally have reasonable
consistency between the screens.

cheers
afx
--
atsec information security GmbH, Steinstrasse 70, D-81667 München, Germany
    Phone: +49-89-44249830  /  Fax: +49-89-44249831  /  Web: atsec.com