[ltp] Wifi slowdown

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:18:50 +0000

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 04:14:35PM +0100, Paul Marwick wrote:
> I'm running Arch Linux on a T400. Its using this wireless interface:
>
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN
> [Shiloh] Network Connection
>
> At home it connects to a Linksys WAG320N router. Until recently, I
> was getting a consistent 150 mbs connection to the router. I backup
> to an NFS share on a NAS (running OpenWRT). Recently, I found I was
> having some problems with rsync running to the NAS.
>
> On checking, I've noticed that I no longer get a 150 mbs connect to
> the router - the highest connect speed I'm seeing now is 72 mbs. Not
> really a problem with internet use (my dsl connection is only
> running about 8 mbs, but it certainly makes a difference when it
> comes to moving files around my local network.

I've seen something vaguely similar with ubuntu 12.4 LTS on a T520.
I posted here about it:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-thinkpad&m=133897083013428&w=2

I never found out what the problem was, I use a wired connection at
home to get around the problem and haven't seen the problem reccur in
outside networks.

I also previously had a problem with ipw2200 repeatedly disconnecting,
on a t43P running ubutu, which I solved by reflashing my router
(linksys 54G) from DD-WRT to Tomato:

In both cases, I think the problem started to occur after an update to
the kernel.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell