[ltp] T61 LED backlight mod

green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Dec 2013 10:52:59 -0600

--qOrJKOH36bD5yhNe

Paul Seelig wrote at 2013-12-23 01:34 -0600:
> On 12/20/2013 03:23 PM, green wrote:
> > Is it possible to upgrade to a fully working, adjustable LED=20
> > backlight?  If so, how complicated is the process and how long
> > would it take me the first time?  To give you an idea of my
> > experience, I have replaced the system board, processor, and fan in
> > this T61 by following the steps in the Hardware Maintenance
> > Manual.
>
> If you are able to read and understand German, maybe even via Google's
> translation services, you might want to browse through these topics:
>=20
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=3Dsite%3Athinkpad-forum.de+LED+T61+sammelbestel=
lung
>=20
> Myself i have no experience with this mod, but the guys on the German
> Thinkpad forum who actually went for it seem to be generally pleased
> with the results.

Thanks for the link.  Reading via transator, I see 3 forum topics
about bulk orders, possibly the same product as is available from
iccfl.com.  It also seems that the LED backlight can be inserted
without opening the LCD.  This seems to be implied/indicated by the
product pages at iccfl.com and xccfl.com also.
http://www.abload.de/img/11vdua8.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/22x5uj1.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/33iuu5q.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/5djup7.jpg

The kit price from iccfl.com (with shipping) is 45.6 USD via "HK
Register Air Mail" ("not responsible for lost packages") or 57.6 USD
via DHL or EMS.  From xccfl.com, is 66 USD shipped.

I sent some questions about the backlight kit to the contact address
provided on iccfl.com; the answers I received were very brief and
unclear.  No response was provided for multiple requests regarding kit
documentation.

Altogether, it is a high price for a very uncertain result.  If I see
one somewhere for a more reasonable price, I might try it.

--qOrJKOH36bD5yhNe

--qOrJKOH36bD5yhNe--