[ltp] Re: T61, fan disabled (Thinkpad T-60 fan replacement UK)

green linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:41:50 -0600

Stefan Monnier wrote at 2013-02-18 20:04 -0600:
> > My T61 fan started making annoying noises, and twice I tried cleaning
> > it without any improvement.  So I disabled the fan.  Everything is
> I guess a less drastic option is to use some fan control daemon, and set
> the temp-limits high enough that the fan never kicks in.

Yes.  But of course, if the "fan never kicks in", then that is the
same thing as disabling the fan, correct?  Will the temperatures ever
get too high?  If not, then disabling the fan is safe.  But really
this is just speculation on my part, based on my surprise that my
little experiment seems to be working.

> My T61's fan is off most of the time, but even if I'm idle, it gets
> turned on (for a short while) on a regular basis, so it's
> very tempting.  I just wish I could tweak the BIOS's fan control instead,
> since it would be much cheaper resourcewise.

It seems to me that most of the time when the fan is running it is
doing so not because the laptop needs to be cooled internally, but to
maintain *externally* "safe" temperatures.  And my T61 does feel, at
times, much warmer externally but this does not seem to correlate with
the internal temperatures, which remain mostly steady.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.12 (GNU/Linux)