[ltp] Fan error T43

Stuart Friedman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 3 Mar 2013 09:04:47 -0500

--047d7b603bce1b53f104d705b96a

I have this aging T43, still enjoy the 4:3 aspect and the IPS screen, so I
tried out Mint 13 on a usb. First thing, is I cannot get either the
ethernet or wireless working, after some searching, git the ethernet going.

I was then advised to do an update, which I did and let it run when I
headed off to bed. Getting up during the night I see that the machine is
still on with a message that there was not enough room to install the
update. OK, I shut it off figuring I will deal with it in the morning.

When I get up and fire the machine up, I see a "Fan error" and the machine
shuts itself off. Efforts to boot into Windows 7 yields the same
unsatisfactory result. I assume I need to replace the fan, but the
 question is:

Did leaving it on all night with the Mint update running (or not) stress
things so that the fan failed? Would it have failed otherwise? Other
insights into this strange coincidence?

Thanks

--
Stuart

--047d7b603bce1b53f104d705b96a

I have this aging T43, still enjoy the 4:3 aspect and the IPS screen, so I =
tried out Mint 13 on a usb. First thing, is I cannot get either the etherne=
t or wireless working, after some searching, git the ethernet going.<div>
un when I headed off to bed. Getting up during the night I see that the mac=
hine is still on with a message that there was not enough room to install t=
he update. OK, I shut it off figuring I will deal with it in the morning.</=
div>
n error&quot; and the machine shuts itself off. Efforts to boot into Window=
s 7 yields the same unsatisfactory result. I assume I need to replace the f=
an, but the =A0question is:</div>