[ltp] Fan error T43

Bill Andrus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 3 Mar 2013 10:16:16 -0500

--0__=0ABBF1B0DFC0CB978f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF1B0DFC0CB97

>Stuart pens:
> I have this aging T43, still enjoy the 4:3 aspect and the IPS
> screen, so I tried out Mint 13 on a usb. First thing, is I cannot
> get either the ethernet or wireless working, after some searching,
> git the ethernet going.
>
> I was then advised to do an update, which I did and let it run when
> I headed off to bed. Getting up during the night I see that the
> machine is still on with a message that there was not enough room to
> install the update. OK, I shut it off figuring I will deal with it
> in the morning.
>
> When I get up and fire the machine up, I see a "Fan error" and the
> machine shuts itself off. Efforts to boot into Windows 7 yields the
> same unsatisfactory result. I assume I need to replace the fan, but
> the =A0question is:
>
> Did leaving it on all night with the Mint update running (or not)
> stress things so that the fan failed? Would it have failed
> otherwise? Other insights into this strange coincidence?

Odds are very good it was its time to fail.   Get a can of compressed a=
ir
and start the fan by blowing in from the left side vents while turning =
on
the power.  I have a T60, T60p,  and T410 that all had a Fan Error and =
this
technique let me eject the debris that accumulates as well as get the f=
an
going so I could back up the drive and configuration.  Replacing a T4x =
fan
is about an hour's work with a Home Depot Husky 6-in-1 screwdriver and
possibly a security driver set (look on the base for five or six point
screws, some models came with them in key positions).  If the fan spins=

with the air but not on it own, best to replace the fan before doing
anything else.

Bill Andrus=

--0__=0ABBF1B0DFC0CB978f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF1B0DFC0CB97

<tt><font size=3D"2">&gt; I have this aging T43, still enjoy the 4:3 as=
pect and the IPS <br>
&gt; screen, so I tried out Mint 13 on a usb. First thing, is I cannot =
&gt; get either the ethernet or wireless working, after some searching,=
&gt; I was then advised to do an update, which I did and let it run whe=
n <br>
&gt; I headed off to bed. Getting up during the night I see that the <b=
r>
&gt; machine is still on with a message that there was not enough room =
to<br>
&gt; install the update. OK, I shut it off figuring I will deal with it=
&gt; When I get up and fire the machine up, I see a &quot;Fan error&quo=
t; and the <br>
&gt; machine shuts itself off. Efforts to boot into Windows 7 yields th=
e <br>
&gt; same unsatisfactory result. I assume I need to replace the fan, bu=
t <br>
&gt; Did leaving it on all night with the Mint update running (or not) =
&gt; stress things so that the fan failed? Would it have failed <br>
&gt; otherwise? Other insights into this strange coincidence?</font></t=
t><br>
 to fail. &nbsp; Get a can of compressed air and start the fan by blowi=
ng in from the left side vents while turning on the power. &nbsp;I have=
 a T60, T60p, &nbsp;and T410 that all had a Fan Error and this techniqu=
e let me eject the debris that accumulates as well as get the fan going=
 so I could back up the drive and configuration. &nbsp;Replacing a T4x =
fan is about an hour's work with a Home Depot Husky 6-in-1 screwdriver =
and possibly a security driver set (look on the base for five or six po=
int screws, some models came with them in key positions). &nbsp;If the =
fan spins with the air but not on it own, best to replace the fan befor=
e doing anything else.</font><br>

--0__=0ABBF1B0DFC0CB978f9e8a93df938690918c0ABBF1B0DFC0CB97--