[ltp] Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:22:27 -0800

--sn2oaAIdwMouLf54FKxPTpkfGMNXnEXhA

Jochen Spieker wrote, On 2014-02-12 00:30:
> https://github.com/leoluk/thinkpad-stuff/wiki/Haswell-ThinkPad-problems=

Wow, thanks for the link! This is great, and by great I mean horrible
and depressing.

Alan Wood wrote, On 2014-02-12 03:39:
> The entire touchpad moves as you click on any button, so the kinetics
> of it feel really wrong, kind of like the original touchscreen
> blackberry phones did when you had to press that whole screen to
> activate a button.

This has been the case starting with the X220 (except it still has
physical buttons for the trackpoint). I was wondering why they were
going with this design point, and recently I figured it out. Users who's
been addicted to Macs are hopelessly lost when trying to use an average
trackpad with physical buttons. I actually had one friend not remember
which button was the primary click button (left) anymore.

Anyhow, the mouse button thing is a bit scary, but not as scary as all
the other Haswell related issues. Again, all rather depressing. I was
thinking it might be time to upgrade from my X220 since I've more or
less fried the USB3 port on this machine and would really like a higher
DPI display, but it sounds like I should maybe wait a little longer
until this machine really croaks. This laptop is nothing short of a war
machine.

--=20
Rubin
rubin@starset.net