[ltp] Re: Anyone played with an X240 yet?

Rubin Abdi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2014 11:45:27 -0600

--gwqOAQJiUWdO0DQQFJwR1UG5MqTFQ9XGE

Hi Peter, thanks a bunch for your input here. As much as your answers
more or less coincide with what many of us have been able to deduce
based off of the design of recent machines, it's good to hear some of
this from someone who's working at for Lenovo. Also thanks for your
thoughts on the Haswell issues.

Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote, On 2014-02-21 11:16:
> In any case, it sounds like the general answer is basically "no",
> so I guess it's some other make of laptop for me next.

I would be amazed if you found such specs from any manufacturer.

There are times I wish Lenovo (or any hardware manufacturer at that) had
an easier way for us to send in feedback and suggestions on things like
hardware design changes. However there's a reality many of us on this
list cannot avoid (as much as we try to ignore it) which is we're a tiny
minority compared to what the market is. Our needs are outlandish when
taking look at all the silly bells and whistles the mass of net citizens
want out of a laptop. And these hardware manufacturers just want to stay
afloat.

I'm absolutely not trying to defend Lenovo for making horrible hardware
design choices when compared to my wants and needs, but I just want to
point out how silly it is to get wound up around the fact that no one
really builds machines we specifically want. Sure Lenovo can pop in here
and announce they're making a hacker version of the X240crazypants, but
the moment they ask us for details on what this machine should be, all
of us here would be in major conflict on that.

Personally I'm not a fan of 4:3 ratio displays or the old power
connector or how the old latch and lid lip worked, and so I wouldn't
want that on my dream machine. That doesn't negate your wants or make
them globally annoying, but it does point out how much of a minority we
are here.

So we can totally sit here and complain about how the old days were
better and horse carriages could totally rock the socks off of modern
cars today in dependability and that I'm not getting rid of my wood
burning furnace for an electric heater because I have all these logs
stock piled. Or we can actually be constructive about creating the
change we want to see. I mean look at this beautiful hunk of open source
DYI machinery...

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3D3597

It even has a Thinkpad keyboard and trackpoint!

Anyhow, my 2 Satoshis.

--=20
Rubin
rubin@starset.net