[ltp] Debian on Thinkpad W540 [GRAPHICS]

José Luis García Pallero linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:54:08 +0200

Hello,

I've installed Debian Sid on my Thinkpad W540 and now I need to
configure the graphics in order to use the Intel integrated graphics
as the default choice for the monitor.

My laptop is equipped with the processor integrated graphics (an i7
4800MQ) and with a nVidia Quadro K2100M. I want to dedicate the
integrated graphics for the normal use, i. e., monitor et al., and the
nVidia only for CUDA computations

Since some years, the default Debian installation does not provide the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file for configure the graphics. As far as I know,
Debian inspects the system during boot and configure automatically the
graphics, being in this way all the proccess transparent to the normal
user. By the moment I have not installed any nVidia driver, being the
only graphics related package the xserver-xorg-video-intel, so the
system is using the integrated graphics (and the automatic
configuration is perfect: the monitor works at all possible
resolutions).

But as I haven't xorg.conf, I don't know which will the behavior if I
install the nVidia driver. I don't know which of them will be selected
in the automatic configuration.

So I would like to create a xorg.conf only containing the integrated
graphics configuration. Is this the correct way to do what I want? How
can I create it? Should I change something in the BIOS related with
graphics?

Thanks!

José Luis García Pallero
jgpallero@gmail.com